Starting an Event Planning Business
Do you dream of having the freedom that can only come from working for yourself? Do you love events? Starting an event planning business is a very realistic dream; as long as you do it right!
Be Your Own Boss: Ten Steps to Freedom
and Starting an Event Planning Business
We all dream of it. Working for ourselves. Owning our own business. Having complete ownership of our lives and career. And doing what we truly love, every single day.
And now that you've considered starting an event planning business, it's exciting and terrifying and intimidating, all at the same time.
Regardless of whether you want to plan weddings, parties, fundraising events, special events, or corporate meetings, the process of starting your business is the same.
- What does it take to open a business?
- What are the first steps?
- How do you become an "official" business?
- How much money does it take?
- And most importantly, how do you get clients to ensure that you succeed?
The good news is, it really isn't that difficult to open a small business! There are just a few specific steps you must take to make sure you're legally set up.
Then, it's just a matter of managing your business and getting clients!
Starting an event planning business is not difficult; but it is important that you lay down the foundation for success from the beginning. And then you can enjoy a lifelong career, doing what you love while enjoying total and complete freedom.
"BUT I LOVE PLANNING EVENTS! ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?"
Unfortunately, no. Passion will get you far, but contrary to the "follow your bliss" mentality, the reality is that in the world of business, it's just not enough.
The majority of small business owners, just like you, set out with good intentions; but end up failing before they even have a chance to succeed. Why?
...because they took an idea and ran with it; without laying down the foundation of their business.
...because they found the "business" side of business to be boring, tedious, or simply didn't understand it.
...because they didn't treat their business like a business, and it ended up costing them everything.
And unfortunately, we "creative" types resist the "technical" side of anything; we yawn over conversations having to do with legal entities and financial statements, and our minds shut down and our eyes glaze over when people talk about insurance, taxes, and other "boring" business-talk.
But if you are interested in starting an event planning business, it's a simple fact; you simply must learn what it takes to lay down the foundation of your business, or you'll be joining the 70% of failed businesses in no time at all.
The Be Your Own Boss course will break it down for you, in easy steps that even us "right-brained" people can understand. Because it was designed by an event planner, for event planners.
If you've ever dreamt of starting an event planning business but just didn't know where to start, then Be Your Own Boss is the course for you!
By the end of the Be Your Own Boss course you will:**
**Please note that this is NOT a course on how to plan events. This course only teaches how to open an event planning business. For suggested training on planning events, please click here.
Be Your Own Boss Will Help You Start Your Own Business
Quickly And Efficiently;
You Could Be Up And Running In A Matter Of Weeks!
Who is the "Starting An Event Planning Business" Class For?
Experienced event planners OR....
As a supplement to the Essentials Course**
Wedding, event, corporate, & party planners
Independent contractors (or people who want to become a contractor/freelancer)
Free spirits who want to work for yourself!
**Please note this class does not teach you how to plan events.
This course is meant to supplement the Event Planning Essentials Course (or for those with several years of full-time event planning experience). **
***Also note that this course is included in the Complete Event Planner Toolkit at a discounted rate **
What's Included in the Course?
The Be Your Own Boss: Starting an Event Planning Business video course consists of:
* Four video training modules (totaling three hours of video time) which you complete at your own pace, on your own time, as your schedule allows.
* The course is hosted online, so there is no waiting for materials to arrive in the mail; you can begin immediately and sign in whenever you have time.
* Downloadable documents to help you run your business; including financial worksheets, sample RFPs, sample proposals, and a resource page
Module 1: First Things First
This module outlines the foundational steps prior to setting up your business.
- Develop the right business owner mindset to start your own business
- Understand the difference between owning a business and working as an independent contractor
- Perform a SWOT analysis to ensure you have a market
- Learn how to conduct research in your area to determine your competition
- Determine if you have a solid partner/vendor base
- Figure out your start-up costs
- Downloadable documents: Resource Page, Sample Start-Up Expense Worksheet
Module 2: Ten Steps to Set Up Your Business
The second module walks you through, step by step, the process of setting up your business; including:
- Choosing a business name and registering it legally
- Choosing a business entity (incorporating, LLC, etc)
- Obtaining Federal and State Tax IDs / EINs
- Which Insurance You Need for Your Business
- Branding, Logos, and Design
- Setting Up Your Office
- Creating a website that brings clients to you
Module 3: The Business Side of Business
Admittedly, owning a business is not all fun & games. Everything has a price; and the price of owning a small business is staying on top of your finances! So in this module, we discuss the "not so fun" but necessary topics of accounting, managing money, and the basics of taxes (I keep to the basics so it's not too painful, I promise!)
- Accounting basics
- Deposits, "floating" money, and managing cash flow
- Tax basics and the importance of write-offs
- Downloadable documents include sample cash flow statement, sample financial spreadsheet, and sample balance sheet.
Module 4: Capturing Clients: Marketing for Success
And finally, we attack the biggest question of all...."how do I get clients?"
- Identifying and understanding your ideal client
- Sell the solution, not the product
- How to get your company in front of your potential clients
- How to create a portfolio, even if you don't have any photos or experience
- Specific suggestions, tips, and steps for online marketing
- Specific suggestions, tips, and steps for offline marketing
- Winning business through RFPs, pitches, and proposals
- How to write a proposal that wins the client and the project every time
- Downloadable documents include a sample RFP for planners and two sample proposals.
PLUS...Two MAJOR Bonuses
Bonus #1: Pricing Your Services Video Course
This video course addresses one of the most important concerns any event planner has; how to charge for your services at a rate that is fair, profitable, and yet won't cost you the project or the client. This 45-minute course covers:
- The six main ways event planners charge for their time
- The "pros and cons" of each method of charging
- The factors that determine your rate
- The elements you must include in your client contract
- Considerations to help manage your cash flow
Bonus #2: Build Your Own Website Video Course
Your website can be one of the most powerful marketing tools you possess. If done correctly, your website can actually bringyour clients to you; which means you can spend less time finding clients and more time planning events. This one-hour video course covers:
- A basic overview of website terminology (SEO, hosting, etc)
- The truth about site builders like Wix, Weebly, and Squarespace
- What Google looks for in ranking websites
- A step-by-step guide on how to set up a basic site
Ready To Take The First Step Toward Your Dream?
Get Started Right Now For Only $97
In addition, I do offer a 100% 7-day money-back guarantee. This means you can sign up, poke around, and make sure this is for you….. completely risk-free. The only thing you are risking is losing out on an amazing opportunity to make your dream career a reality.
I also use PayPal, which is single most secure and trusted payment processing software in the world. You don't need a PayPal account, just a credit card; but you'll still be protected by PayPal's terms of service.
Here are just a few of the many real-life testimonials about my courses, from people just like you.
"I have to write and tell you that I listened to what you taught in your course, and IT WORKED!!! Thanks to you, I was able to secure a great volunteer position with a local non-profit in my town; and then last week they offered me a full-time, paid position! I literally can never thank you enough; you single-handedly helped me achieve my dream!" ~A.A.
"I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I recently landed a job as an event coordinator at a major university in my home town. I absorbed all of the wisdom you share, and applied it to my life; and it worked just like you said it would! Your help is greatly needed, and all those out there that can't afford to go back to school wholeheartedly appreciate your enthusiasm and unending knowledge. Keep up the great work!" ~Z. G.
"You have been such a great help to me. I really want to pursue event planning as my career, thanks to your advice and all the knowledge you have provided for me, I was able to land an internship with a local Event Management firm; and then my internship turned into a job offer. I started the job four weeks ago...and I am loving it! I am truly grateful once again for your immense help. Thank you, thank you, thank you!"
"Thank you SO MUCH... I finished up my classes over the weekend, and my head is SO FULL right now with so much great information! I love this class and feel so prepared for my interview tomorrow when I take on Director of Events at a local non-profit!" ~K.S.
Frequently Asked Questions
"How Do I Take The Course? Do You Mail Anything To Me?"
In order to keep costs low and to keep it accessible to anyone at any time, I host the course completely online. Once you sign up, you will be immediately taken to an exclusive Member's Area, where you will create a login password. Each time you want to complete more of the course, you simply log in and watch more videos.
I also include downloadable documents, which you can keep and print out for your future reference.
You can go back at any time to watch the videos again; you will also have the option to pause, rewind, and fast-forward. This gives you the greatest freedom and allows you to work around your schedule. You also have lifetime access to the videos, in case you need a "refresher course" in the future.
"I Don't Live In The U.S; Can I Still Take The Course And Does The Course Still Apply To Me?"
Absolutely! The foundational elements, which is what this event planner course is about, are the same for any event, anywhere in the world. Some of the terms might be slightly different, but otherwise this applies to anyone who wants to plan events in their country!
I have had dozens of students from Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, the Caribbean, and various countries in Africa.
And, as I mentioned before, I hosted the entire course online so that you can access it from anywhere in the world.
"How Do I Know You're Not A Scam?"
This is a fair question; and a question you should be asking before you spend any money online.
I only take payment through PayPal. Even if you don't have an account, you can pay by credit card through PayPal. PayPal has a policy that protects you if you never receive your product, or if you decide I'm a scammer.
If, on the other hand, you decide that my information is worthless and it's not for you, then I will offer a 100% refund within 7 days.
Hopefully this ensures you that I offer a quality, reliable product and that you are protected.
"I'm Ready! How Do I Sign Up?"
Please click here or on the button below, where you can pay with a credit card using PayPal (you do not need a PayPal account). Once your payment goes through, you will be taken to a secure, "Member's Only" page where you will need to sign in each time you're ready to watch more videos and continue on with your course.
You will have immediate access to the documents and all video modules.
Good luck and I am looking forward to helping you starting an event planning business!